|Benefit For Breastfeeding Mother
Benefit For Breastfeeding Mother
You know of the many benefits of breastfeeding for baby, but what are
the benefits of breastfeeding for the mother? Here are just a few:
What Breastfeeding Does For You!
Brought to you by Motherwear's quarterly magazine Parenting from the Heart.
By now you likely know all the wonderful things breastfeeding does for
your baby, but did you know that nature's most perfect feeding system is
as beneficial for you as it is for your little one? Here are some of
the many ways nursing your baby can improve your life, emotionally and
The release of breastmilk has a soothing effect on your body,
stimulating the production of ß-endorphins, chemicals that bring on
feelings of peace and relaxation and suppress anxiety and irritability.
Nursing also requires you to sit or lie quietly with your infant many
times throughout the day, encouraging you to rest and refuel.
Those same natural chemicals - and the time spent holding your child
-promote feelings of affection, well-being, and intimacy that help you
bond with your baby. That connection is important not just in the early
weeks, when you are getting to know each other, but also later on when
you may be returning to work and spending more time away from your
Breastfeeding releases a hormone that stimulates your uterus to
contract, helping control blood loss and return to its pre-pregnancy
shape. Nursing also helps return you to your pre-pregnancy shape - and
keep you there - by burning 200 to 500 calories a day, the equivalent of
swimming 30 laps or biking for an hour. This natural weight-loss
program is unusually effective, providing not just relatively rapid but
also lasting results.
Women who breastfeed are 75 percent less likely to develop osteoporosis
than women who feed their babies formula. While most mothers lose a
small amount of bone mass during nursing, within months of weaning,
their bodies have replaced it with new, denser, stronger bone.
Reduced cancer risk
Women who have nursed their babies are less likely to develop breast
cancer, ovarian cancer, and uterine cancer than women who have never
breastfed. Some of this protection has been shown to grow over time,
increasing with the number of months or years a woman breastfeeds.
Nursing simplifies your life by eliminating the need to plan and prepare
food for your infant. Whether you are at home, out and about, or just
trying to get a good night's sleep, breastmilk is ready at a moment?s
notice, in the perfect quantity, at just the right temperature, and in
the ideal formulation for your child.
A healthier family
Because your breastmilk contains powerful antibodies, your baby will
have an easier time fighting off illnesses, which means you will spend
less time caring for a sick child. This reduces stress for the whole
family, whether you are at home with your child or returning to work.
More money for you
Nursing saves you plenty over the cost of bottles and formula - as much
as $1,400 a year, according to our calculations. That's money you can
spend on other things, like taking care of yourself so that you can
better take care of everyone else!
Charlotte Meryman is editor of Parenting from the Heart.
• 7 Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy
• A Step By Step Plan to a Healthy Pregnancy
• Aromatherapy and Pregnancy
• Benefit For Breastfeeding Mother
• Breastfeeding in Style
• Buying Maternity Clothes ~ Creating your 9 months
• Calculate Your Due Date Easily with an Online Pregnancy Calculator
• Concerns About Sex During Pregnancy
• Dealing With Common Pregnancy Complaints
• Dealing with Pregnancy Bloat
• Delivery Mistakes Cerebral Palsy
• Endometriosis Symptoms What Are The Signs
• Exercise and Pregnancy Fact Sheet
• Fashionably Pregnant
• GAGGED While Giving Birth
• Getting Pregnant
• Giving Your Newborn a Bath
• Health and Fitness in Pregnancy and Delivering a Healthy Baby
• How To Avoid Post Partum Depression
• How to Deal With Headaches During Pregnancy
• How to Get Your Pre pregnancy Body Back
• How Would You Like To Look Sexy During Pregnancy
• Importance of Oral Hygiene for Pregnant Women
• Infertility and Pregnancy
• Itâ€™s Not A Sin For Pregnant Women To Have A Massage
• Jaundice in Babies Prevention Treatments
• Kegal Exercise for a Healthy Pregnancy
• Morning Sickness Relief
• Obesity And Pregnancy
• Plus Size Maternity Clothes Keep Baby And Mom Comfortable
• Pregnancy and Hypoglycemia
• Pregnancy Food No Nos
• Teen Pregnancy Can Be a Crisis
• The Risks of Multiple Pregnancy Associated with IVF
• Truth about the Health of Newborns
• Women and Breast Cancer Information
• Women and Breast Cancer Symptoms
• Women and Cervical Cancer Symptoms
• Yoga For Pregnant Women